Having itchy armpits is a common phenomenon for many individuals. Itchiness underarms can happen because of various factors, such as sweat, large hair, and frequent contact of skin to the other side. However, it can be a sign of any other underlying disease.
This article will talk about the reasons behind itchy armpits, symptoms of any disease, what it means, home remedies to help it and other treatment methods to stop the itchiness.Table of Contents:
- Part 1: Why Are My Armpits Itchy?
- Part 2: How to Stop Itchy Armpits?
- Part 3: How to Treat Itchy Armpits?
Why Are My Armpits Itchy?
1. Sweaty Armpits
The armpits contain larger sweat glands compared to the rest of the body. These glands release excessive sweat known as Hyperhidrosis, causing itching and sensitivity around the area.
2. Ingrown Hair
An ingrown hair is like a discoloured spot with melanin. Where the hair follicles experience growth of hair inside the skin, which can form because of tweezing, waxing and shaving. It also causes itchiness under the arms.
3. Skin Irritation
Skin irritation can happen because of various methods of hair removal, such as shaving, waxing, etc. Using deodorants, scents and other armpit products that contain chemicals can also cause this.
4. Poor Hygiene
Poor hygiene is another reason for itchy armpits. Not cleansing the area can cause dirt and sweat to stick to the armpit hair, which leads to bacterial infections and rashes.
During pregnancy, the body goes through several changes and hormonal imbalances. Which results in itchy armpits, rashes, and so on.
6. Excessive Heat
The armpit is the warmest area of the body. Especially during summer, it is common to experience itchy armpits due to excessive heat and sweating.
Itchy Armpits Can Be Symptomatic Disease
Itchy armpits can be signs of some underlying diseases such as diabetes, yeast infection, folliculitis, eczema, dermatitis and even cancer. Avoid waiting for the itchiness to fade, if it is causing extreme discomfort and pain. Connect with a professional immediately to know the cause.
What Does Itchy Armpits Mean?
An itchy armpit can mean several things, such as whether one is maintaining proper hygiene or not. Normally due to excessive sweat, itching can happen. However, if it is extreme that can mean underlying diseases or infections. Several issues, such as skin infection, irritation, ingrown hairs, psoriasis, yeast or bacterial infection, etc. can cause this.
How to Stop Itchy Armpits?
This section elaborates on how one can stop their armpits from getting itchy to a certain extent.
- Ice Cubes: Ice cubes can heal rashes and excessive sweating in armpits if it is glided across the skin gently. The cold contrasts the heat of the skin, making sweat glands shrink and act like ointment for rashes.
- Vitamin C: Taking vitamin C along with daily meals can stop itchiness in the armpits. Vegetables such as tomatoes and broccoli, alongside fruits such as oranges and strawberries, etc, can help in avoiding itchy armpits.
- Essential Oil For Itchy Skin: Essential oils such as lavender oil, peppermint oil, coconut oil, tea tree oil, etc can help with treating and avoiding itchy armpits. Due to their antibacterial properties, these help in the reduction of inflammation and irritation of underarms.
- Moisturisers: Using moisturisers with fewer chemicals and no scent can help in avoiding itchy armpits. However, using natural moisturisers such as aloe vera gel and coconut oil is the best option.
- Care After Hair Removal: After shaving or tweezing underarm hair, it is essential to treat the area with some moisturisers or antiseptic creams to avoid razor burns and irritation.
- Vinegar: Another way of avoiding an itchy armpit is by applying apple cider vinegar under the arms. This vinegar is helpful in relieving itchy hair scalp in underarms.
- Baking Soda: Another home remedy is applying baking soda to the itchiness prone area. Due to its antifungal properties, it helps in avoiding itchy armpits.
- Cleansing Everyday: Sometimes dirt and sweat stick to the hair which can cause irritation. Maintaining a daily routine for daily cleaning of underarms is another factor that stops itchy armpits.
- Colloidal Oatmeal: The application of colloidal oatmeal paste under the arms can maintain a barrier on the skin to lock the moisture, helping to relieve dryness and itching.
How to Treat Itchy Armpits?
One can treat their itchy armpits using topical treatments and at-home remedies, where the treatment duration is completely subject to the skin condition and lifestyle.
1. Antifungal Cream
Antifungal cream has properties that kill the fungus spreading infection around the skin. This helps with bacterial infection, fungal infection, yeast infection, etc. These creams come with ingredients like nystatin clotrimazole ketoconazole etc. It fights with bacteria and fungi.
2. Proper Hygiene
Maintaining proper hygiene every day is essential to treat itchy armpits. Sweat, dirt, and bacterial formation can infect the skin further. Showering daily in the morning or after sweating and using suitable soap to clean the underarms can reduce itchiness from the skin.
3. Avoid Scratching
Scratching after every itch will cause the bacterial infection to spread further in other areas. Not only that but it will cause extreme discomfort and a sudden rise in burning sensation on the skin. Avoiding scratching can give the infection time to heal without spreading any further.
4. Wet Cloth Therapy
Using a wet cloth on the itchiness prone area can bring relief to all individuals. Making a routine of using a wet cloth by pressing it on the skin until the cloth feels warm, can reduce redness and itch. The cold water soaked in the neat cloth soothes the burning itchiness on the hair calps.
5. Calamine Lotion
Calamine lotion Is effective in getting rid of irritation and inflammation spread across the skin. Applying the lotion after a shower and before going to bed can help the itchy armpit recover. These lotions are easily available in the market, however, consult a skin professional if needed.
6. Anti-Chafing Powder
Applying anti-chafing powders on the armpits can help in the reduction of bacterial infections, rashes, and fungal infections. These powders are also useful against skin irritation by frequent friction between the skin.
7. Avoid Chemicals
When one is suffering from an itchy armpit, one must avoid using any products that come with fragrance and excessive chemicals. These products can worsen the infected area and may lead to serious issues. Choosing products such as aloe vera gel, ice cubes, light deodorants and herbal soap is beneficial in these cases.
8. Consulting Professionals
Immediately consult a professional or dermatologist when the itchiness gets extreme. They can provide useful medication and ointments to get rid of the itchy armpit. They also suggest a proper diet and foods to avoid. In extreme cases, professionals can help to detect underlying diseases, if any.
The problem of itchy armpits is easy to avoid. One can take precautionary measures like keeping the armpits clean and dry, especially during hot and humid weather. Furthermore, one can avoid itchy armpits by wearing loose clothing to encourage proper air ventilation.
However, certain people might experience serious itching, and scratching the itchy part can further worsen the issue such as bleeding, inflammation, or skin redness. One should keep the armpits well-moisturised to overcome the issue.